Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Naughty Ballerina: Did It!

Leading up to T Bear's first dance recital I really did not know what was going to ensue.  There were so many questions.  Would she perform?  Would she freak out?  Would she refuse to go on stage or get off stage?  So many possibilities!

The run down of her recital weekend was Friday night dress rehearsal, followed by catching the last bit of Daddy's softball game.  Saturday, Auntie was coming, then a trip to Dairy Queen, followed by a 6:00 performance.  Sunday had a 2:00 performance and dinner with the family.  Quite a lot for a four year old!

On Friday we didn't have the best day.  I tried to maintain my composure, but I'm sure my anxiety was rubbing off on her.  She definitely was not the best listener, but looking back I'm sure she was super nervous too.  We picked up Mima and had her take Mad Man while we went to the dress rehearsal.  I volunteered to be a back stage mom for all three days since I figured T wouldn't even attempt it if I was not there.  Plus, I am definitely a bit of a helicopter parent!  There was a lot of time to sit around.  So, I took my time getting her ready.  How sweet she looked in her pink tutu and bun.  We even put a little sparkly eye shadow on!  The final piece of her attire was the sticker I put on her hand, and kiss that accompanied it, so that she would know my love was with her while she was on the stage (once again thank you to The Kissing Hand).  She clung to me pretty much the whole time we were backstage.  If I had to take one little one to the bathroom T for sure was accompanying us.  She started to get more comfortable and played with the other little ones as the evening progressed.  Then we lined them up and one of the backstage helpers did little sing-alongs (so cute) and quiet games with them.  T loved it.  I promised her that I would be in the wings when she went on stage, so that she could see me.  As the little ones made their way to the stage, the door closed and I wasn't able to sneak in.  My stomach was literally churning!  I was convinced that she would come barreling through the stage door at any moment.  It felt like an eternity, but the door opened and I was able to sneak in.  T looked over at me and waved!  Oh, so sweet.  She was doing it - she was dancing on the stage!  Well, my tears were certainly flowing now.  I was absolutely overcome with pride, relief, excitement, and awe.  Aah, I love that little girl!

When she got off the stage I picked her up and told her just how proud of her I was!  I could tell that she was very proud of herself too!  She told me that the sticker worked and she looked at it and felt better.  Oh, she is too sweet sometimes!  The rest of the evening went well.  She played with the other girls; she had brought a bag of her favorite squeaky Disney princess dolls.  She did an awesome job sharing too (I was super proud of her!).  She went out and bowed (of course I went backstage to witness that too!).  Success!

Saturday was a very full day.  T was super excited to see her Auntie, but she was a bit whiny!  It was a long day leading up to the show, and I am sure, once again, that I contributed to it.  We made it through the day, with a little help from Dairy Queen.  T was a bit difficult once we got to the high school, but I was able to get her dressed and ready.  I could tell that she was nervous, and a bit tired!  She got to see her Daddy, because his softball team was selling refreshments at the show!  She was much more interested in playing with the other girls, rather than getting ready to dance.  She did it though!  I was in the wings watching and once again the tears were flowing!  She did a great job, and once again she looked over at me and waved!  For not having been in class many times, she seemed to know the routine pretty well for a four year old!  She came off and said she had so much fun!  Another success!

By Sunday I think we were both done.  My patience was thin, and her whines were in full throttle.  We survived.  She did an awesome job dancing on stage - actually the best of the three!  The sheer look of joy on her face was priceless - she especially loved the parts where she skipped around in circles!  Daddy, Mad Man, Mima, Poppi, Auntie, and Gramma were all in the audience too!  She was so excited when she was showered with flowers and gifts!  We got to watch the rest of the recital this time, and she was dying to get back on the stage.  Success!

For the first few days after the recital T did not want to wear anything but her costume!  She continuously asks me when her next recital is!  Perhaps I have created a performance monster!  It is still to be determined whether or not she will take classes next year (she claims that she wants to, but we all know that has gone!).  I am proud of her for making it through and performing without a major fit!  I am also proud of myself (not something I generally advertise or necessarily buy into!) for not giving up on her, finding a reserve of patience, and pushing forward.

High:  Watching T dance on stage fully engrossed in the performance and having a blast!
Low:  The anxiety leading up to each performance (I need to chill!).

No comments:

Post a Comment