Wednesday, August 22, 2018

What is it about August?

August is basically a month long Sunday for me. You know the anxious feelings that arise on Sunday mornings that scream “the weekend is over!” That is how the entire month of August feels to me. It’s not the hopeful summer will last forever vibe that July brings. It’s the oh no September is almost here and there is no time to do anything feel. Now, I realize that these are not wholly rational thoughts, but none the less they persist. So what do we do about it?  Tackle August. I’m trying to use up every ounce of every day this month. I’ve checked off summer bucket list items. I’ve made to do lists. I’ve  tried to plan every possible fun thing I can. The result so far is mixed: yes I have accomplished a great deal by taking this approach, but what have I missed?  I haven’t taken many moments to savor the beauty of a summer with a nine year old and six year old. They will never again be this age and we will never have these precise moments. By feeling the dread of September and schedules and routines, I have overlooked the joy of the lack of these during August. So August I see you. I see the days dwindling. I feel the nights getting cooler. I am going to embrace you as you race toward September. And if I am able to conquer you then I will work on taking on Sundays. Enjoy the journey. Be present. Live in the moment. I’m trying. Sometimes I need a reminder, but I’m trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment